• Innervates solely the subscapularis muscle.
• Originates from roots C5, C6, C7.
• Subscapularis muscle is tested with the teres major as a group.
Physical examination of the upper subscapular nerve includes the motor examination of the subscapularis muscle. Specifically, the subscapularis is tested with the teres major as a group for medial rotation of the shoulder joint. Examination of the upper subscapular nerve also examines the lower subscapular nerve due to its proximity and innervation of the subscapularis.
Detailed Examination Links:
• Roots: C5, C6, C7.
• Nerve: Upper subscapular nerve.
• Muscles Innervated: Subscapularis.
• Innervation Route: C5, C6, C7 → posterior cord → lower subscapular nerve → subscapularis.