• The elbow serves to position the hand in space.
• The muscles acting here are often denervated in brachial plexus and proximal peripheral nerve injury patterns.
• With dysfunction at the elbow, the upper extremity cannot be properly positioned in space to perform normal functions even if normal hand or other distal function is preserved.
• Restoration of elbow movement must be a priority in peripheral nerve injury patients.
Structures of the Elbow
• The elbow joint is a hinge joint.
Movements of the Elbow
• Flexion and extension are movements about a coronal axis.
Muscles of the Elbow (with detailed examination links)